This book list was compiled with the help of members of Gereitzedek, a
chat group for Jews by Choice.
Gereitzedek is a support group for those who are in the process , thinking of , or
already converted to Judaism, and have a spouse, or significant other, that is
less than enthusiastic. I have found this to be quite common, and the need for
a support group very strong. If you are someone who feels you have had to shut
down your study,and practice of Judaism because of alienating a spouse, this
is the group for you. Note- the focus of the group is about working for peace
in the house, and still acknowledging the person's aim to be a Jew. This is
for men and women, and about repairing, healing, and honoring the partner's
needs as well as one's own. This can be a difficult thing to do, and this
support group can work to provide ideas on how to achieve this goal and still
have Peace in the House.
- Criminal Kabbalah - a selection of mystery shorts by Jewish writers with Jewish
- Shadows on the Hudson by Issac Bashevis Singer - his last posthumous novel
and one of his overall best.
- The Reader - Bernard Schlink - short, fascinating story of post-war Europe
but not a Holocaust memoir- also an Oprah Book Club selection.
- The Far Euphrates - Aryeh Lev Stohlman - a personal story set in Canada of
a Rabbi's son's journey of self-discovery.
- Almost Any Book by Cynthia Ozick -The Messiah of Stockholm, The Pagan Rabbi
- Sanatorium Under the Sign of the Hourglass and Street of Crocodiles by
- Diary of an Adulterous Woman by Curt Leviant
- Shiksa Goddess: Or How I Spent My Forties, The Sisters Rosenzweig, The Heidi
- Chronicles, An American Daughter all by Wendy Wasserstein
- Through the Unknown, Remembered Gate: A Spiritual Journey by Emily Benedek
- Strange Fire by Melville Jules Bukiet-Mideast thriller Coney by Amram
Ducovny-story of the author's youth in 1930's Coney
- When I Lived in Modern Times by Linda Grant- the fight for Israel
- Paradise Park, Kaaterskill Falls, The Family Markowitz by Allegra Goodman
- Louisa by Simone Zelitch-Arriving in Haifa from Hungary
- The Sparrow, Children of God written by JBC, Mary Doria Russel
- The Ritual Bath and other Faye Kellerman mysteries based in the Orthodox world.
- The Source by James Michener
- The Name by Michal Grovin- Child of Holocaust survivors
- The Red Tent- Anita Diamont Based on biblical story of Dinah in Jacob's
- In The Days of Simon Stern, A Hero in His Time- Arthur Cohen
- Almonds and Raisins, Scattered Seed, Children's Children- part of a family
saga by Maisie Mosco
- The Assistant by Bernard Malamud and especially his short story , The
- For the Relief of Unbearable Urges by Nathan Englander
- The Girl in the Flammable Skirt by Amy Bender
- Lions of al-Rassan by Guy Gavriel Kay
- Exodus by Leon Uris- the founding of Israel
- The Chosen by Chaim Potok
- Friday, the Rabbi slept Late- Harry Kemelman-the first in a series of
mystery stories with Rabbi as detective
- Majorie Morningstar- Herman Wouk
- Bee Season by Myla Goldberg- a sad but hilarious account of a young girl's
sudden gift and the havoc it creates for her dysfunctional family.
Back to top